For some customers, having the ability to install or uninstall the data collector using our Manual Collector Upgrade with Roll-Back - Best Practice article is not possible, if the data collector runs under a windows service account.
The easiest way to determine if you are using a service account is by looking at the service itself in the services app in Windows, and click on the Log On tab, as shown below.
In the above example, the data collector is not using the Local System Account, instead its using a domain (service) account called "Joe", If you were to uninstall the collector, and then re-install it, it will wipe out the service account and use the Local System Account. This is a problem if you are using Windows Authentication with some of your infrastructure you are monitoring (back end SQL Server databases for Skype and TMS are an example) Customers might not also have access to the service accounts, and might have to open a change request to re-apply the service account settings.
In this case, if you need to install an upgrade of your collector, and you want to keep your service account intact, what you can do is
1) Download the latest version of the Vyopta Collector with these instructions
2) Stop the Vyopta CPM Data Collector service in the Services app
3) Once the service has stopped, please go to your Vyopta folder and delete the following folders/files (as shown in the screenshot below)
4) Move the vyoptacollector.exe that you download from step 1, and place it in your Vyopta Folder. At this point your folder structure should look like the screenshot below
5. Now you can restart the collector. Once you restart the collector, the new collector will recreate the folders that we deleted above.
At this point, you should be able to go into the Vyopta Admin Portal, and see that you are running the new data collector that you just upgraded.
Please sign in to leave a comment.