Obtaining the SolarWinds SFTP server
SolarWinds offer several free tools, including a Windows SFTP/SCP server that can be downloaded from
The download requires registration, including company name and contact details. Once registered you will be redirected to a page allowing the download of SolarWinds-SFTP-SCP.zip
Installing the Server
Once downloaded, the zip file contains SftpServerInstaller.msi, which can be installed simply by double-clicking. After reading and accepting the license and allowing UAC (if enabled) the server will install with no further intervention and will also install the SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server windows service without notification in addition to an application of the same name
Upon first starting the application, a Windows Security Alert may be presented to allow access through the firewall – it is recommended that the default of Private Networks only be accepted
Once allowed network access, the application window will be shown
Note that the service will be stopped at this time.
Configuring the Server
In order to configure this server, select File->Configure…
At this time it is suggested that the Download File and Delete File options be unchecked, and that the Root Directory be changed to C:\Vyopta\SFTP
Clicking on the Users tab presents the user configuration panel where the user for the Vyopta Data Collector will be configured.
Click on New User to add the user that the CUCM can use to supply files, and specify a password as appropriate
Clicking Apply Changes will provision the user.
The service should be configured to start automatically upon startup. To do this, type Win-R, enter services.msc and press the return (enter) key. The services control panel will be displayed and should be navigated to reach SolarWinds SFTP Server. Right click on this service and select Properties, change the startup type to Automatic and press Start
The service status should change to running. Press Apply to save your settings.
Depending upon your Windows version and security configuration, it may be necessary to add the C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\SftpServer\SolarWindsSftpServer.exe to your firewall configuration in order to permit communication.
As soon as is practicable you should reboot the server and verify that the service started as expected.
Post Installation Testing
- Verify that you are able to connect to localhost using the expected credentials
- Install WinSCP on the machine running the data collector.
- Connect to localhost
- Enter the username and password configured previously
- Using the session established
- Transfer any file
- Verify that the file is present in the expected directory and delete it
- Perform the above tests from another machine
- Verify that you can connect and transfer a file, as above
- If possible, perform the above tests from a machine on the same network segment as your CUCM
- This will verify that connectivity is permitted over the same path as will be used in production.
- The service has not started
- Verify that the service is set to start automatically (run services.msc and located the service, right clock to obtain its properties and select the appropriate startup type)
- Verify that the no other service is using port 22 (start a command prompt as administrator and run netstat -ban | more – find the entry for 0.0.0.0:22 and look at the name of the program beneath it)